It should be one of the happiest moments in a parent’s life when they welcome their newborn baby into the world. Unfortunately, for one family in China, their joy was short-lived due to the incompetence of a nurse who caused their baby to lose his leg. The baby boy was just four days old when a negligent nurse left a hair dryer blowing hot air non-stop beside him in a neonatal intensive care unit.
The CCTV footage released by Henan Metropolitan News Channel shows the nurse using the hair dryer on the baby and then walking away to do other tasks, forgetting to turn off the hair dryer. After an hour and a half, the hair dryer fell on the infant and caused severe burns to his left leg. The baby was immediately rushed to the hospital and doctors determined that the only option was to amputate his leg.
The other nurses in the area were also unaware that the hair dryer had been left on, according to reports. It was only when a doctor came into the neonatal intensive care unit to examine the babies that he noticed the hair dryer had fallen on the infant.
The baby was in the NICU because he was born prematurely and required time in a neonatal incubator. The nurse was seen using the hair dryer on the baby after bathing him and then leaving it beside him. The hair dryer fell on the baby, severely burning his leg and injuring him.
Two nurses were found responsible for the negligence and were fired by the hospital. The baby’s father expressed his disappointment and said, “If she had paid attention to the babies and quickly removed the hair dryer from them, he (my son) would have only suffered minor burns.”
The hospital has apologized for the incident and offered to pay some of the baby’s medical expenses. However, the family has yet to accept the offer. The baby’s grandmother is worried about the child’s future and said, “The baby has become disabled just four days after birth. What’s his future going to be like?”
Many people were outraged by the incident and called for the nurses to be charged with negligence and reckless endangerment. One commenter pointed out that the hair dryer had no business being in the NICU, while another expressed disbelief that such a thing could happen.
This is a tragic and heartbreaking story. No parent should have to endure the pain and suffering of watching their child lose a limb due to the negligence of a healthcare provider. We must ensure that healthcare workers are properly trained and held accountable for their actions to prevent such tragedies from occurring in the future. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the baby who lost his leg in this terrible incident.