• July 13, 2024

She Led Them On A High Speed Chase, Then They Saw Who Jumped Out Of The Car And….

A pursuit that ultimately turned into an hours-long standoff in Diamond Bar took a heartbreaking turn as a young passenger spotted walking out of a tear-gassed car turned out to be a 9-year-old girl.

Authorities say it all began with a road rage incident Tuesday evening in Diamond Bar, according to CBS Los Angeles. The suspect, 30-year-old Margaret Hassan, led police on a reckless pursuit through the county. Aerial video shows Hassan’s car hitting and scraping past other vehicles in traffic. Police had no idea that Hassan’s 9-year-old daughter was in the back seat, according to ABC 7. 

At some point the car became inoperable, but Hassan refused to get out.

LASD lieutenant Todd Knight confirmed that “nobody knew the child was in the car,” which was why they loaded it up with tear gas. If the deputies had known that a child was seated next to the out-of-control driver, they might not have followed through with the tear gas plan.

Tear gas was used only after deputies made “multiple efforts” to speak to the driver – all of which failed. The woman behind the wheel of the Nissan was not willing to cooperate with authorities.

The video shows Deputy Darell Edwards picking up the young girl and whisking her away. 

“Seeing her exit that car I just wanted to go over and physically take hold of her, let her know it’s OK,” Edwards told ABC 7. 

The appearance of the little girl shocked everyone. An anchor following the car chase with Fox 11 exclaimed, “Oh my God! Is that a child?” after seeing the little girl flee the tear-gassed car.

The anchor initially thought that the driver had left the car, but when authorities picked up the child, she realized it was not an adult after all.

According to ABC 7, Hassan had repeatedly told deputies that she was alone. Deputies used drones to try to look inside the vehicle but hadn’t seen the child.

“Tactics would have been completely different at that particular point, there would have been more negotiating with the safety of the child in mind,” Cpt. Joseph Williams told ABC 7. 

The girl was not hurt and she is now in the custody of Child Protective Services.

Watch the video report below for more details:

Sources: AWM, CBS Los Angeles, ABC 7

The Daily Allegiant